Go Back   Island Forums > Graphics Plaza > Tutorial Center

Tutorial Center A place to teach and a place to learn how to make various types of graphics, including animations.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
Izanami
KAMEN TEACHER
ANBU Member

Izanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacy
Default Izanami's Guide to Simple Avatars

I decided I should make a quick tutorial on how to make a simple avatar. Nothing that looks super good but something that looks good and is very simple.

I am going to be using Photoshop CS4 for this tutorial. Even if you use GIMP, I'm sure you can still get something from this tutorial.

I am also going to be using the size 150x150 for the avatar, and I will try to do a more complex tutorial later on for my favorite size of 150x200.

The stock I am going to be using here is this:
( Click to show/hide )

The result is of this tutorial is:

( Click to show/hide )

Step 1

You open up a new document in Photoshop, paste your image and then crop out what you want to be shown in your avatar. For this one, I obviously cropped out her face and resized it to 150x150 as you can see here:

( Click to show/hide )

Step 2

Now I duplicate the current layer twice by pressing Ctrl + J twice. Now we want to hide both of those new layers and put them behind the one that is still visible. One of those is going to be our back up and the other we will use later.

Step 3

Now I add a new layer and think of a color that I want to be shown mainly on this avatar. I am going to pick the purple like color that is in her eyes which is 53548b. With the new color selected, we go to the paint bucket tool and fill our new layer with the color selected. After it has been filled we go to Blending Options and switch the layer to Saturation at 100 percent. You should have something like this:

( Click to show/hide )

See how it changed a few colors around and made it kinda pop?

Step 4

Now we are going to be using one of the layers we hid at the beginning of this tutorial. Make it visible and bring it to the very top. Then we are going to go to Blending Option and set it to Linear Light at 25 percent. You should have something like this:

( Click to show/hide )

Step 5

This step is not necessary but I like to use it when I have lighter colors in my avatar such as whites.

Add a new layer and pick a color that isn't too dark but isn't too bright. I used d7d7d7. Fill that layer up with and set the layer to Darken at 50 percent (Blending Options). It just makes the brighter colors a bit more calm, I guess you could say.

You should have this:

( Click to show/hide )

Step 6

We are almost finished. Next go to Layers --> New Adjustment Layer --> Vibrance. You can mess around with whatever you want to make it look however you want since each image is different, but I set this as Vibrance: +28 and Saturation: 48+.

Step 7

Now this is the final part! You need to right click on your top layer and select "Merge Visible." Don't worry about your hidden layer.

Then go to your Rectangle Marquee Tool and hit Ctrl + A or just select all, which ever works. Now once everything is selected, right click over your image and go down to "Stroke." Now once you are at the Stroke menu, width should be set at 3 pixels, color should be white and the location should be set to "Inside." Everything else is okay as is. Hit okay.

Now, still with your image selected, go to Stroke again but this time set the Width to 1 px and the color to black.

And you're done!

Your finished image should look something like this if you followed everything correctly:

Conclusion

Yes, this tutorial did not use any brushes or weird kind of effects. Very, very simple. Some will probably say that it didn't do enough to even worry about, which is okay. I personally believe that it adds a bit more pop to the image and makes it look better.

I hope you learned something in this tutorial and please remember that all images and different and some things work different with different images. Work around with this information I provided you and come up with your own style.

My main goal was to teach you different ways to do things so you can incorporate them into your future works.

------

I am wondering if anyone would be interested in a tutorial on how to do rounded borders and semi-rounded borders. If you are, post saying you are or just message me some how.

My next tutorial will be on editing 150x200 avatars and it will hopefully be a bit more advanced.
Izanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
jaberjazz
( ́ ◕◞ε◟◕`)
S Class Ninja

jaberjazz has disabled reputation

I like the tutorial. =]

Thanks for the info/tip!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Izanami
KAMEN TEACHER
ANBU Member

Izanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacyIzanami is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

No problem! Glad you liked it.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
TheTrueUchiha
3 Star Hunter
Sannin

TheTrueUchiha is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTheTrueUchiha is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTheTrueUchiha is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTheTrueUchiha is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTheTrueUchiha is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTheTrueUchiha is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTheTrueUchiha is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTheTrueUchiha is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTheTrueUchiha is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTheTrueUchiha is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTheTrueUchiha is part of the LEGENDARY legacy
Send a message via MSN to TheTrueUchiha

I suck so bad, I followed the tutorial and still failed. I guess this just isn't my thing ya'know? In any case, Thanks for it! And thanks for the sig and avii !!!
TheTrueUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Izanami
KAMEN TEACHER
ANBU Member

That's bad to hear, but remember to switch up the colors. It takes practice to get it to look nice.

Just keep trying it in different ways.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
Kyuubi2
Undead Army
Kage

Kyuubi2 has disabled reputation

What I started with:
( Click to show/hide )

My end result:
Old 06-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
Izanami
KAMEN TEACHER
ANBU Member

Wow, really like those colors. Looks really good, thanks for following the tutorial!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Moldy
Gennin

Moldy is a name known to allMoldy is a name known to allMoldy is a name known to allMoldy is a name known to allMoldy is a name known to allMoldy is a name known to allMoldy is a name known to allMoldy is a name known to allMoldy is a name known to allMoldy is a name known to allMoldy is a name known to all

ehhh i might try this, i know a little about PhotoShop B)
Moldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
Monty
The Jolt
Sannin

Monty is nearing legendary statusMonty is nearing legendary statusMonty is nearing legendary statusMonty is nearing legendary statusMonty is nearing legendary statusMonty is nearing legendary statusMonty is nearing legendary statusMonty is nearing legendary statusMonty is nearing legendary statusMonty is nearing legendary statusMonty is nearing legendary status

Wow, I hate to get rid of this awesome set. But...
Old 07-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
Buh-Lake
Justin <3
S Class Ninja

Buh-Lake is part of the LEGENDARY legacyBuh-Lake is part of the LEGENDARY legacyBuh-Lake is part of the LEGENDARY legacyBuh-Lake is part of the LEGENDARY legacyBuh-Lake is part of the LEGENDARY legacyBuh-Lake is part of the LEGENDARY legacyBuh-Lake is part of the LEGENDARY legacyBuh-Lake is part of the LEGENDARY legacyBuh-Lake is part of the LEGENDARY legacyBuh-Lake is part of the LEGENDARY legacyBuh-Lake is part of the LEGENDARY legacy
Send a message via MSN to Buh-Lake

Not bad for an easy avatar, they are kinda hard to make. I have only made two ever and these were them years ago.

Buh-Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #11
KamiSaiyan
Academy Student

KamiSaiyan is on a distinguished road

Cool tutorial, thanks
KamiSaiyan is offline   Reply With Quote