Go Back   Island Forums > Anime / Manga Harbor > Dragon Ball

Dragon Ball The debates of Goku and friends from the legendary Dragon Ball series go here!

Old 06-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
Sephi
Hawk D. Raven
Kage

Sephi is part of the LEGENDARY legacySephi is part of the LEGENDARY legacySephi is part of the LEGENDARY legacySephi is part of the LEGENDARY legacySephi is part of the LEGENDARY legacySephi is part of the LEGENDARY legacySephi is part of the LEGENDARY legacySephi is part of the LEGENDARY legacySephi is part of the LEGENDARY legacySephi is part of the LEGENDARY legacySephi is part of the LEGENDARY legacy
Default Super vs GT

Some people are saying that GT is better than Dragonball Super. I think they are overreacting because of some noticably bad Super episodes. However, I'm gonna explain why I feel they are saying that here. Because I feel they have some grounds to say so.

Don't get me wrong, I've never said GT was perfect. I acknowledge it's flaws and that overall, it wasn't a very good series. I just liked it anyways. Down to personal preference for me really. The reason people are saying GT was better, is because of a few things.

1. Baby. He tied to the Tuffles. The people who were slaughtered when the Saiyans took over planet Tuffle and it became Planet Vegeta, put themselves into Baby. Regardless of if he was a well-liked viliian, he tied to the Saiyans a lot more than someone like Beerus.

2. The Shadow Dragons saga. It yet again, contributed to the lore and mythology of Dragonball by showing a new aspect- a punishment for overusing the Dragonballs. Something that was long overdue, as they'd become a plot device that was greatly overused in Dragonball, and of all things..GT directly addressed that fact. I admit though, the only Shadow Dragons that I personally liked were Oceanus, Nova and Syn. But the concept itself at least, was a clever idea that just didn't get executed as well as we would've liked. Now contrast that with the Ressurection of Freeza or hell, even Frost being in the Universe 6 Arc. Definitely seems like that while yes, people love Freeza...bringing him back wasn't really adding anything big or new to the overall world. The Shadow Dragons definitely did.

and just as a side note...I personally loved Super 17. Yes, I admit the way they defeated him felt like a cop out...but did you ever notice how quickly Android 17 got overshadowed by Cell? This felt like he finally got the justice he deserved in being a proper villian in his own right..and in my opinion and extremely bad ass one at that. Yes I didn't like a lot of things about the exeution (The villians being brought back could've been much better, but to be fair..it wasn't that great in Fusion Reborn either. And the tickling torture and whatnot was lame too, I admit.) but in this case..I just personally felt that it was handled very well. Some could call this arguement hypocritical because I said Freeza didn't need to be brought back. First off..I want to say that I still loved him being brought back and enjoyed it. But think about it. He had his time in the limelight. Android 17 got overshadowed by Cell..hell, even when he fought Piccolo, there was the threat of Cell still looming in the background. This gave him some limelight, and even tied it into Baby. I also don't think it made as little sense as people think it did. It was simply a Machine Mutant that looked like 17...fusing with the real Android 17. That's it.

Everyone can also point to how awful the animation has been in some of the episodes of Super so far..and you can say that at least the ones in GT were consistent, even if not anywhere close to being as good as the best that Super has shown us. Because it also...was never as bad as the WORST Super has shown us. Not even close to as bad. And many of you here probably KNOW how bad Super's art and animation has gotten at times.

Either way..I wanna conclude with this. I'm not saying GT was better...but apparently, some people ARE saying that...and I'm just playing devils advocate here and showing their reasons for it..to show you why that could be.

As for me..I just hope that this Arc redeems itself soon. The slow pacing is killing me..but I LOVE that Future Trunks is back, and an Evil Goku is a pretty interesting concept. (Even if we've seen things like it before with Turles, etc.) So I definitely want this arc to be good.

My Top 4 favorite One Piece characters.
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #2
War Doctor
The World
Jinchuuriki

War Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

Well the only 2 reasons i feel people are saying GT is better then Super is

Bad Animation Moments during the TV Airing Version of the Super Episodes (even though they did show that they are willing to touch up quality for Bluray/DVD Release)

The Retelling Arcs of The two Recent Movies... since people did expect just brand new content for Super

But GT did suffer from Bad Animation Moments as well plus the series somewhat getting the Ax probably during the Baby Arc did damage the Super 17 & Shadow Dragon Sagas

So...

GT got Rushed Story, While Super currently has "Slow" Pacing in some people's view
Old 06-26-2016, 06:11 AM   #3
semadriyuon12
Chuunin

semadriyuon12 has a reputation beyond reputesemadriyuon12 has a reputation beyond reputesemadriyuon12 has a reputation beyond reputesemadriyuon12 has a reputation beyond reputesemadriyuon12 has a reputation beyond reputesemadriyuon12 has a reputation beyond reputesemadriyuon12 has a reputation beyond reputesemadriyuon12 has a reputation beyond reputesemadriyuon12 has a reputation beyond reputesemadriyuon12 has a reputation beyond reputesemadriyuon12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to semadriyuon12

I feel that people is giving Super a bad rap because it is not even close to being done and to compare it to GT which is finished already gives GT and advantage. By that i mean Super has completed give it time to get better. Honestly I did like GT but it did not garb my attention like super did. Super makes you wanna watch the next episode before it comes out. With GT I was more like that was a good show. I'm just saying give it time. It is like a roller-coaster at its perk it about to go down.

give me a reason to live and i will give a reason to die test and see
semadriyuon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
Urahara-san
Αdministrator
Akatsuki Member

Urahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

I liked GT very much. Only disliked the first 20 episodes and the Super 17 saga wasn't well executed, but I really liked the rest.

Super doesn't even come close to GT YET imo. I highly disliked the Beerus movie and the anime was slightly better. RnF movie wasn't good, but the anime did it even ten times worst. The U6 arc suffered from bad animation which ruined it for me, but even then it wasn't very good aside of Goku vs Hit. The tournament definitely didn't live up to the hype. But.. if it would've been the first arc of the series, I would've given it a pass as an introduction arc.

The Black Goku arc has been good. Can't complain so far.
Hopefully the next tournament arc will be as good and will feel like an actual tournament.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Zero00
S Class
Jounin

Zero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

Each series has advantages and disadvantages.

The facts where GT is above Super, are:

- The villains (Rildo, Baby, Super 17, the dragons) almost each one with new powers introduced in the dragon ball series, a better design and everything.

- The transformations, that i think were far better (Ssj4 rather than SsjBlue) original design, details such as the key to transform to Ssj4, having the tail, at the power level they had now. The fusion...

- Story: details such as Rildo's planet such as never seen before, the tuffles making another planet, controlling the entire population and moving it to the new home, bringing back 17 into action and with a huge boost, and the dragonball wishes turning against our heroes. (more interesting story than just repeating characters and faces, such as Frieza's return, Frieza's version of another universe, Trunks's return, a guy with Goku's face again, Gods looking alike...not much original content)

What Super has in it's favor is the newer HD quality, the animation quality of SOME scenes, and that's about it.

Most characters are lame, like Monaka, Sorbet, the Omniking, Jaco and his Octopus boss, even that Magetta and some more filler characters.

If GT were to be remade in HD kinda like DBZ Kai, and altered a bit 5-10%, i think it would be better than Super.

Last edited by Zero00; 06-26-2016 at 10:06 AM..
Zero00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #6
War Doctor
The World
Jinchuuriki

War Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacyWar Doctor is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

lets please not start a war here over which we think is better or add to the fire of those who already started the War on the internet

it probably be better if we compare them ONLY when Super Ends.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
Urahara-san
Αdministrator
Akatsuki Member

Urahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacyUrahara-san is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero00 View Post
If GT were to be remade in HD kinda like DBZ Kai, and altered a bit 5-10%, i think it would be better than Super.
There is GT in Blu-ray. Tbh Kai doesn't look that much better than DBZ Blu-ray edition. I actually like the colors of the original dbz more.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #8
Zero00
S Class
Jounin

Zero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacyZero00 is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

Same here, and at full content compared to kai. I just mentioned a remake with an alteration of 5-10% to the content as well.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
.Lucian.
Dark Lord Chin-Chin
S Class Ninja

.Lucian. is part of the LEGENDARY legacy.Lucian. is part of the LEGENDARY legacy.Lucian. is part of the LEGENDARY legacy.Lucian. is part of the LEGENDARY legacy.Lucian. is part of the LEGENDARY legacy.Lucian. is part of the LEGENDARY legacy.Lucian. is part of the LEGENDARY legacy.Lucian. is part of the LEGENDARY legacy.Lucian. is part of the LEGENDARY legacy.Lucian. is part of the LEGENDARY legacy.Lucian. is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

Everything good and bad about both in my opinion

GT
( Click to show/hide )

Bad:
*The grand tour arc was boring af and it dragged on way too long.

*Goku being reverted to a child the entire time. I didn't mind, but looking back, they probably should've changed him back after the baby arc because when you see Kid Goku you expect goofiness and GT's mood contradicted that.

*The show being primarily centered around Goku. None of the characters had any development after the Buu Saga aside from Goku.

*No Super Saiyan Pan, and Bulla did nothing.

*Super 17 arc's plot made zero sense.

Good:
*Seeing Kid Goku again. Even though I thought it was bad he was a child the whole time, it was still nice seeing him again.

*The GT Dragon Balls came with a price.

*Super Saiyan 4 and the Tuffles.

*Ironically, somehow, Super 17 is the best arc to me (I guess because we got to see the other characters do something even though they were fodderized).

*Opening up a hole between Earth and Hell to allow the old villains an attempt at vengeance.

*The concept of the shadow dragons. Their existence said that overuse of the Dragon Balls came with a price. I personally didn't enjoy the arc till near the end.

*Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta.

Super
( Click to show/hide )
Bad:
*They wasted the first 30 or so episodes retelling the new movies.

*They made Vegeta look worse in the BoG arc than they did in the movie.

*Tried to hard to instill fear into the audience about Beerus' power

*Frieza arc/movie still makes no sense.

*Contradicts things from DB and Z.

*Primarily centered around Goku and Vegeta.

*Unlike GT, instead of just halting character growth, they nerfed everyone who isn't Goku or Vegeta post Buu Saga.

*The concept of God ki is cheap and cheesy.

*The tournament arc was pointless.

*Frost. Everyone hated Frost

*The fact that Cabba is as strong as Goku and Vegeta.

*There are only 2 major villains so far and only 1 of them is new.

*The designs for SSG, SSGSS, and Golden Frieza.

*The occasional derpy animations.

Good:
*Even though they made Vegeta look worse in BoG and they took 30 episodes to retell the the movies. They did retell them better than the movies in some points.

*Beerus vs Goku in Super >>>>> Beerus vs Goku in BoG.

*The concept of Super Saiyan God. I like the idea.

*Vegeta gaining god ki without the ritual. I thought it was stupid and cool at the same time. Stupid because Shenron said that you MUST perform the ritual which looking back, makes zero sense how he knows how to make SSG. Cool because he did it without help.

*Ginyu coming back was a twist.

*Goku vs Frieza was better in the movie, but Vegeta beating Frieza's ass was better in Super.

Hit. I liked him, but didn't like him. His ability is cool, but once again, doesn't make sense that he can compete with a SSGSS or SSGSS x10 Kaioken.

*SSGSS x10 Kaioken Goku.

*Goku vs Fake Vegeta. Even though it wasn't a genuine Goku vs Vegeta fight, that little something was nice.

*Future Trunks coming back.

About the new arc, the plot makes no sense so far, but I'm willing to give it a chance because Super 17 is my favorite arc from GT despite the plot not making any sense.

( Click to show/hide )
.Lucian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #10
Zero00
S Class
Jounin

All Z warriors, (some, ssj2's and above) weren't able to stop the ressurection of Majin Buu and Trunks did it by himself, even though he was weaker?
Old 08-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Ki96Sensei
Gennin

Ki96Sensei is on a distinguished road

Dragon ball GT is confuse,this is the real end or no? For me GT is not a valid serie,but is good of course.
Ki96Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #12
KamiSaiyan
Academy Student

KamiSaiyan 's power is MAXIMUMKamiSaiyan 's power is MAXIMUMKamiSaiyan 's power is MAXIMUMKamiSaiyan 's power is MAXIMUMKamiSaiyan 's power is MAXIMUMKamiSaiyan 's power is MAXIMUMKamiSaiyan 's power is MAXIMUMKamiSaiyan 's power is MAXIMUMKamiSaiyan 's power is MAXIMUMKamiSaiyan 's power is MAXIMUMKamiSaiyan 's power is MAXIMUM

GT looks better than Super for me. But half of GT is incredibly boring.
KamiSaiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #13
darkpitofdoom2
The Black Swordsman
Akatsuki Member

darkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

Never finished GT, lost interest. Super I'm caught up on and I am really not impressed. It doesn't have the same feel that Dragonball or DBZ had. It's pretty boring and I hope the Universe Survival Arc is something good because I thought the Zamasu Arc was really really really boring and the ending was terrible.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Aqua Grunt Nick
PSN: MasarusLullaby
NNID: AquaGruntNick
darkpitofdoom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #14
Urahara-san
Αdministrator
Akatsuki Member

Alrighty then. 8 months have passed since my last post. My opinion has changed.

To the question ''Is Super better than GT''? It's a tough one. The first 28 episodes were still terrible. However if the current arc is 70+ episodes and very good for example, then I might give it to Super, since that's the length of nearly the entire series so far. Half of GT was cool while the other half was bad. But for now leads GT by a mile

But if you watch Super with this watch list:
-Watch episode 1 and 2
-Watch the Battle of Gods movie
-Watch eps 15-18(Transition episode to the Golden Frieza arc)
-Watch Resurrection of F movie
-Continue the rest of Super

It will change your experience completely. With this it isn't that far from GT imo.
GT is probably around a 5.5 imo(bonus points for the ending), while I'd give Super currently a 5/10 with this watch list. It could surpass GT if the current arc keeps rocking. Zamasu arc was GT level imo(compared to Baby and shadow dragons saga)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #15
Tyler
Akatsuki Member

Tyler is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTyler is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTyler is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTyler is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTyler is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTyler is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTyler is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTyler is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTyler is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTyler is part of the LEGENDARY legacyTyler is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

ssj4 will always be better than the ss god nonsense.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote