Go Back   Island Forums > Island Central > Citizen Registration

Citizen Registration New to the Island Forums and want to introduce yourself? Do it here!

Old 02-22-2017, 01:41 AM   #16
Kitten
Moderatrix
LEGENDARY SUPER SAIYAN

Kitten has disabled reputation

@darkpitofdoom2: It's easily one of the best JRPG series, IMO, but the genre itself is kinda niche. What Trails really excels in is world building. It starts off kind of slow to introduce you to its concepts, but it rewards you immensely for your patience. Character dialogue is very down-to-earth. The games go above and beyond to flesh out NPCs as much as possible and they encourage you to talk to them constantly. They're worth chatting with more often than not. An obscure comment said by an NPC can actually be something that foreshadows future events that takes place in a different game. In one entry, you literally sit down and have drinks with all of the main antagonists.

Combat is turn-based, but you can position your characters and attacks, and interrupt enemy turns and/or outright prevent them from attacking if you're skilled enough (some magic skills involve time manipulation). There's a nice amount of strategy involved and it keeps you actively engaged. For example, sometimes it's advantageous to step out of the range of enemy attacks, or move a character with high evasion in front of everyone else.

Characters have special skills to differentiate from one another, but you can customize everyone to fit your playstyle; no one is restricted to a specific class. Though it's ideal to change your attacks to adapt to whatever enemies you're up against. Pre-battle, you can try to sneak up on enemies from behind (or manually slash/shoot/run over them in the recent games) for a tactical advantage.

Anyway, I'd recommend checking out the first Cold Steel game since it's recent. There are short in-game books that can get you up to date on some of the series' lore. If you like it, then get the sequel. The Trails in the Sky titles take place earlier chronologically, but since Cold Steel is in a different setting (and it is told from the perspective of a neighboring country), you won't be super confused. At worst, ya won't get a couple of references and such. Though if you end up liking both Cold Steel games, then you should definitely get Trails in the Sky 1 and 2 simply for the story. Though they're solid games in their own right...

But if RPGs aren't your thing and you wanna play something more action based, then I highly recommend the Ys series from the same developers. It's basically an ARPG hack and slash that's kinda like Zelda. And like Zelda, the order that you play those games don't matter whatsoever. I started with Ys. 7 lol.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #17
darkpitofdoom2
The Black Swordsman
Akatsuki Member

darkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacydarkpitofdoom2 is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
@darkpitofdoom2: It's easily one of the best JRPG series, IMO, but the genre itself is kinda niche. What Trails really excels in is world building. It starts off kind of slow to introduce you to its concepts, but it rewards you immensely for your patience. Character dialogue is very down-to-earth. The games go above and beyond to flesh out NPCs as much as possible and they encourage you to talk to them constantly. They're worth chatting with more often than not. An obscure comment said by an NPC can actually be something that foreshadows future events that takes place in a different game. In one entry, you literally sit down and have drinks with all of the main antagonists.

Combat is turn-based, but you can position your characters and attacks, and interrupt enemy turns and/or outright prevent them from attacking if you're skilled enough (some magic skills involve time manipulation). There's a nice amount of strategy involved and it keeps you actively engaged. For example, sometimes it's advantageous to step out of the range of enemy attacks, or move a character with high evasion in front of everyone else.

Characters have special skills to differentiate from one another, but you can customize everyone to fit your playstyle; no one is restricted to a specific class. Though it's ideal to change your attacks to adapt to whatever enemies you're up against. Pre-battle, you can try to sneak up on enemies from behind (or manually slash/shoot/run over them in the recent games) for a tactical advantage.

Anyway, I'd recommend checking out the first Cold Steel game since it's recent. There are short in-game books that can get you up to date on some of the series' lore. If you like it, then get the sequel. The Trails in the Sky titles take place earlier chronologically, but since Cold Steel is in a different setting (and it is told from the perspective of a neighboring country), you won't be super confused. At worst, ya won't get a couple of references and such. Though if you end up liking both Cold Steel games, then you should definitely get Trails in the Sky 1 and 2 simply for the story. Though they're solid games in their own right...

But if RPGs aren't your thing and you wanna play something more action based, then I highly recommend the Ys series from the same developers. It's basically an ARPG hack and slash that's kinda like Zelda. And like Zelda, the order that you play those games don't matter whatsoever. I started with Ys. 7 lol.
oooooo sounds good, both do lol
I may have to look further into this because I am really interested.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Aqua Grunt Nick
PSN: MasarusLullaby
NNID: AquaGruntNick
darkpitofdoom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #18
Kitten
Moderatrix
LEGENDARY SUPER SAIYAN

Kitten has disabled reputation

Oh, awesome... Here's a gameplay trailer of a fairly recent Ys. game to get more of an idea of what I'm talking about:

The boss battles can get pretty crazy, especially on the highest difficulty. Playing Ys. is what got me into the Trails games, and it didn't take long for me to become a huge fan of both.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote