Go Back   Island Forums > Interests Beach > Game Zone

Game Zone Talk about all your favorite video games here... from Mario to GTA to Halo and beyond!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #61
solorflare99
[color=#e9e9e9][/color]
Kage

solorflare99 is part of the LEGENDARY legacysolorflare99 is part of the LEGENDARY legacysolorflare99 is part of the LEGENDARY legacysolorflare99 is part of the LEGENDARY legacysolorflare99 is part of the LEGENDARY legacysolorflare99 is part of the LEGENDARY legacysolorflare99 is part of the LEGENDARY legacysolorflare99 is part of the LEGENDARY legacysolorflare99 is part of the LEGENDARY legacysolorflare99 is part of the LEGENDARY legacysolorflare99 is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron Pond View Post
EG's right. The story has a direct impact on whether or not you want to play the game. If it's a bad story, you care less about completing missions and fighting through the tough bosses. If it's intriguing, you become more attached to the character and want to help them win. Sometimes, intriguing storylines get you past terrible gameplay.

With that said, I'd take Prototype over Infamous.

Now, I know what some of you (Nina) are thinking. "AP, you don't have a PS3."

I've played and beaten both Infamous 1 & 2. I can honestly say that I like the story of Prototype 1 over Infamous 1 and the story of Prototype 2 over Infamous 2.

For me, plot was a main reason. Infamous plot was good in the first one. It didn't exactly pan out differences in the end well, but the overall effect the choices had on the game made you caution your decisions. It got you involved. A few things felt rushed, but adjusting wasn't a problem.

Infamous 2 had a few plotholes that killed it for me. The biggest being the fact that he even got Ice and Fire powers. It took away from Cole's uniqueness. All the lightning-based attacks could've been immensely expanded on. Just look at Static, he can beat virtually any villain with his powers. Though, the endings were immensely different. And the evil ending was really sad. But the fights were so weak for me.

Now, Prototype was quite something. You had this bland guy who was trying to get to the root of it all. He had no memory, so it made sense that he had no personality. He's not exactly helping the soldiers, but he wasn't going to let the people die. He became a people's champion, though, the people would never acknowledge it. Thus, he became a bit of a tragic hero. In the end, he realized what he truly was and accepted it.

Prototype 2, he has more of a personality, he knows what has to be done. Sure enough, he goes about doing things the right way. He makes it hard to hate him, even for Heller, whose backstory is a sob story worthy of Hollywood.

Gameplay-wise, Prototype. Graphics-wise, Prototype. Face2Face-wise, Prototype. Reputation-wise, Activision (Prototype).

Infamous was great, don't get me wrong. Prototype is just so awesome to play though.
EG isn't right because that is opinoin
The story isn't what gets me to play a game
I played and still play GTA4 but I only played 5% of the story by your logic I would of stopped playing GTA4 along time ago.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #62
Auron Pond
Just do it!
Akatsuki Member

Auron Pond is part of the LEGENDARY legacyAuron Pond is part of the LEGENDARY legacyAuron Pond is part of the LEGENDARY legacyAuron Pond is part of the LEGENDARY legacyAuron Pond is part of the LEGENDARY legacyAuron Pond is part of the LEGENDARY legacyAuron Pond is part of the LEGENDARY legacyAuron Pond is part of the LEGENDARY legacyAuron Pond is part of the LEGENDARY legacyAuron Pond is part of the LEGENDARY legacyAuron Pond is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by solorflare99 View Post
EG isn't right because that is opinoin
The story isn't what gets me to play a game
I played and still play GTA4 but I only played 5% of the story by your logic I would of stopped playing GTA4 along time ago.
It does have an impact on whether or not you want to play a game. That's what I mean by he's "right". Not that his general opinion is right.
( Click to show/hide )

If you were playing GTA4 and you've beaten the game, chances are, you'd stop playing sooner than you would hadn't you beat the game. And fact is, you've played 5% of the story. Your interested stemmed in it, even if only a little.

And you'd choose to play KH over it. Definitely wouldn't be for the gameplay since KH gameplay is similar to a lot of RPG games. The impacting difference would be the interest you have in the story.

All the other forms of media you listed tell a story. Movies tell a story, books tell a story, television shows tell a story, art tells a story, etc. etc.

So, video games has a chance to not only tell the story, but make you apart of it.

Now, if you're trying to say that you play GTA simply for the pleasure of killing people and not to actually see what happens in the game, then that's understandable, as that is the grip the game trys to sell you.

But, that doesn't hook you on the game alone. If Saints Row and GTA had no storyline from the get-go, which one would you choose? Would it matter?

But if you're saying that a game without a good storyline or even any storyline would still stem your interest based on the gameplay alone, then that's a theory that you should test. Of course, the worst I can think of is Duke Nukem. I'm sure there's something worse out there though.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #63
Jin Fumei
Being Evil feels so Goood
Kage

Jin Fumei is part of the LEGENDARY legacyJin Fumei is part of the LEGENDARY legacyJin Fumei is part of the LEGENDARY legacyJin Fumei is part of the LEGENDARY legacyJin Fumei is part of the LEGENDARY legacyJin Fumei is part of the LEGENDARY legacyJin Fumei is part of the LEGENDARY legacyJin Fumei is part of the LEGENDARY legacyJin Fumei is part of the LEGENDARY legacyJin Fumei is part of the LEGENDARY legacyJin Fumei is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senrex View Post
I think those were the Rockets/Megawatt Hammer. Yeah, the ice was better, but did you complete the game twice and get to play as Cole with both powers?
I believe so. My brother already sold it but I think I was able to switch between the powers or perform evil deeds to use the evil powers and vice versa.

I guess I have time... to KILL!
Jin Fumei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #64
Senrex
☯☯☯
LEGENDARY SUPER SAIYAN

Senrex is part of the LEGENDARY legacySenrex is part of the LEGENDARY legacySenrex is part of the LEGENDARY legacySenrex is part of the LEGENDARY legacySenrex is part of the LEGENDARY legacySenrex is part of the LEGENDARY legacySenrex is part of the LEGENDARY legacySenrex is part of the LEGENDARY legacySenrex is part of the LEGENDARY legacySenrex is part of the LEGENDARY legacySenrex is part of the LEGENDARY legacy
Send a message via ICQ to Senrex Send a message via AIM to Senrex Send a message via Yahoo to Senrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmjow66 View Post
I believe so. My brother already sold it but I think I was able to switch between the powers or perform evil deeds to use the evil powers and vice versa.
Cool.

I think the was this glitch where you could fly with that Fire Phoenix thing.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #65
jnw93
Ⓟuppet ♏aster™
Sannin

jnw93 is a guardian of faithjnw93 is a guardian of faithjnw93 is a guardian of faithjnw93 is a guardian of faithjnw93 is a guardian of faithjnw93 is a guardian of faithjnw93 is a guardian of faithjnw93 is a guardian of faithjnw93 is a guardian of faithjnw93 is a guardian of faithjnw93 is a guardian of faith

i liked inFAMOUS more
proto got boring faster

Created by xXdArKvOidXx
And all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No." They had a choice, all of them.
jnw93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #66
Nyz
Intelligent Dumb Ass
ANBU Member

Nyz has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Nyz

^ O.o waht????

~ Sitting On My Throne Where Else Would I Be? ~
Nyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #67
T_T
SPIDEY
Akatsuki Member

T_T is part of the LEGENDARY legacyT_T is part of the LEGENDARY legacyT_T is part of the LEGENDARY legacyT_T is part of the LEGENDARY legacyT_T is part of the LEGENDARY legacyT_T is part of the LEGENDARY legacyT_T is part of the LEGENDARY legacyT_T is part of the LEGENDARY legacyT_T is part of the LEGENDARY legacyT_T is part of the LEGENDARY legacyT_T is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

Prototpe 2 is so awesome
Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #68
Dark Sasune
The Time Is Out Of Joint
Akatsuki Member

Dark Sasune is part of the LEGENDARY legacyDark Sasune is part of the LEGENDARY legacyDark Sasune is part of the LEGENDARY legacyDark Sasune is part of the LEGENDARY legacyDark Sasune is part of the LEGENDARY legacyDark Sasune is part of the LEGENDARY legacyDark Sasune is part of the LEGENDARY legacyDark Sasune is part of the LEGENDARY legacyDark Sasune is part of the LEGENDARY legacyDark Sasune is part of the LEGENDARY legacyDark Sasune is part of the LEGENDARY legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnw93 View Post
i liked inFAMOUS more
proto got boring faster
after you beat infamous there is nothing to do but make shitty levels and it got boring quick